Thursday, December 22, 2016

Duke suspends guard Grayson Allen for intentional trip

Duke University's Men's Basketball team has suspended Grayson Allen indefinitely after the guard intentionally stuck out his leg and tripped an Elon's Steven Santa Ana on Wednesday night.

Allen later apologized for the incident, but it was enough to get him suspended.

“We have had the opportunity to thoroughly review the incident involving Grayson Allen from last night’s game against Elon," Duke Men's Basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a statement on Thursday. "As I stated last night, the incident was unacceptable and inexcusable. He took an important step last night by apologizing in person to Steven Santa Ana and Coach Matt Matheny. As a program, we needed to take further steps regarding his actions that do not meet the standards of Duke Basketball. To that end, we have determined that Grayson will be suspended from competition for an indefinite amount of time."

"It's a learning experience," Krzyzewski told The Dan Patrick Show on Thursday. "I'm going to use it as that, as a teaching moment. And a teaching moment does not stop by giving one game. Or maybe that's what it is. I don't know that right now.

"Maybe it's three [games]. Maybe it's two weeks. I don't know. He won't play until I feel good about the entire situation and where he is at. That's my responsibility as his coach and as a teacher of young men."

Allen was defending Santa Ana late in the first half of Duke's 72-61 victory. Santa Ana drove past him on the baseline, and Allen stuck his right leg out, sending Santa Ana to the floor.

Allen was assessed a technical foul.

"I made a really bad play. I'm sorry to him, Santa Ana," Allen, a junior, told reporters after the game. "I'm sorry to the officials who had to call that. I'm sorry to my team. It was selfish and taking away from them. I'm not proud of that at all."

Allen is averaging 16.0 points per game -- down from 21.6 last season. Since the start of last season, Allen is averaging 20.2 points per game.

No comments:

Post a Comment